Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Bullhorn

I just got done watching the following video from Todd Friel (host of The Way of the Master Radio), which he put up in response to Rob Bell's Nooma video titled "Bullhorn". I am really amazed at how a guy can sit back and judge someone based on a 12 minute video that they saw of someone else. And I know that you are thinking, "But aren't you doing the same thing with Todd Friel's video?"

No, I am not. I am merely responding to what he has said about Rob Bell and his viewpoints. Todd felt the need to post his response to Rob and I feel the need to respond to what he had to say. Todd doesn't like the fact that Rob feels that it is more important to emphasize the love of Christ and using that as the way to get people to respond to the message of Christ over the method of standing on a street corner with a bullhorn telling people that they are sinners going to hell. But the funny things is, is that Todd Friel really agrees with Rob and demonstrates it in the video below. Todd sits down with a couple of people and mockingly pokes at the abbreviated idea of showing people love and then he moves into his "reason" method of showing them Christ. And that is essentially the same way that Rob communicates on how it should be done.

Rob doesn't expect people to walk up to a complete stranger and ask them how they are feeling and have them share deep personal thoughts with him. He just believes that the most effective way in this day and age to reach out to the lost is by developing relationships with them. And I agree. I am finding that, at least in my area, that people have had the Bible preached at them enough and they want to be shown the Bible now. And besides that, the Bible does say that....

Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, forbearance and patience, not realizing that God's kindness is intended to lead you to repentance? Romans 2:4 (TNIV)


So I would guess that showing kindess to people would be a more effective way to lead people to Christ, since His Word does say that pretty directly.

The other problem that I have with Todd's video response to Rob is that I wonder how that mixes with the following verse....

"Let me give you a new command: Love one another. In the same way I loved you, you love one another. This is how everyone will recognize that you are my disciples—when they see the love you have for each other." John 13:34-35 (The Message)


Is his response showing the world the love that we have for one another? I, personally, do not think so.

But feel free to watch his video response and let me know what you think. Hopefully, you have seen Rob's "Bullhorn" video, because it is very good. I can't post a link to it or show it here, because it is copyrighted.

Labels: ,

|