Monday, July 23, 2007

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book Review)

I finished reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows on Monday morning at 1:00a and I must say that J. K. Rowling ended the series perfectly. I can not think of any other way to end the series and to leave the fans satisfied with how it ended.

My favorite book has always been Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, but this one may supplant that one. Kimmy and I went to the midnight release party at Borders to get our books. It was fun! Then we spent the next day reading it while our kids were at the air show with my parents.


And now for the....

***SPOILERS***




My favorite part had to be in the epilogue when Harry said to Albus Severus that he was named after two of the greatest headmasters at Hogwarts, and that one of them was a Slytherin and one of the bravest men he knew. I cried. I know it was a fairly meaningless scene, but to me it was the perfect way to end that. I always felt that Snape was good.

As far as Harry being a horcrux, that was something that only a few HP fans suggested and most disputed it. But I had a feeling that that was the case. I am looking forward to listening to the next Pottercast, because John Noe (one of the co-hosts) took beatings over his theory on that. And his theory that Voldemort and Harry shared the same blood. He is going to punish Sue and Melissa for teasing him about that at least I hope he does!

I had a feeling that Harry would have to sacrifice himself to have to fully eliminate Voldemort and when he walked into the forest willingly to die, I wondered if his act of love would have some kind of effect.

I was happy that Hagrid did not die, he is my favorite character in the series. I was sad when Fred died, because he and George were such cool characters. I hated to see Lupin and Tonks die, because they had just had a son and were two cool characters.

I loved the one liners during the battle in Hogwarts. Percy saying, "Hey minister, did I mention I quit?" Or Mrs. Weasly, "NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!" Just goes to show you that you never mess with a woman's kids.

Rowling made these characters so real that you couldn't help but developing a love for them. It is sad to see the series end, but I get to relive it again as my daughter reads them and then when the two movies come out.

Labels:

|