Sunday, March 20, 2005

the "going away" party

the church had the "going away" party for me yesterday and i really did not want to go, because i hate stuff like that. in fact, it is kind of odd to have a going away party when i am not really going anywhere. i have no other job i am heading to or even really know what church we will start attending. but it really wasn't for me as much as i think they needed it.

but i am glad i went because it helped me to realize that there are a lot of people there who really do care for me. and plus hanging out with the students always makes me feel good. two of the students gave me pictures of me baptizing them, they are a brother and sister. last year in may they lost their father and so that was a very moving gift, because the sister put the following on the back of her photo, "todd, the one thing that i remember most about is when i had just closed the lid on my dad's casket, and turned around and you were there and you hugged me, and it was so hard but you were always there for me. thank you todd. i will never forget you." that is why i do what i do. and my goal is for them to know that no matter what, i will be there for them. it made me feel like a success in the midst of when i have felt like a failure.
these pictures will go in my future office and remind me of the goal of student ministry.

as much as i go through times wondering if maybe i should just leave the ministry all together and go into something else, i can not even begin to imagine what. i would miss thing like that and would go bonkers not being able to invest in students lives. there is nothing else i want to do with my life, but love and serve students. so i plod on and keep following Him, knowing He is going to lead me to the right place for my family and me.

Labels: ,

|