Sunday, July 31, 2005

oh how i miss it!

i miss student ministry so much! for 11 years i have been waiting to go full-time as a pastor to students and even though i have been able to do it part-time for 6 years it really offered not much in the way of relief. but then as i read this letter from darren mccarty to detroit red wings fans, i began to think about things. here is the letter....
----------------------------------------
A LETTER TO HOCKEYTOWN:
McCarty to fans: Don't shed a tear


July 28, 2005

Don't be sad it's over -- be happy it happened.

In the past few days, since the official word came of the buyout and as the status of my contract teetered, the reality that I'm not going to be a Red Wing anymore has set in, and I've taken some time to reflect.

I don't know if it's maturity ('cause if you know me, that's never been an issue) or the painstaking reality of the past 12 months without hockey. Either way, I'm saddened to leave an organization in a place where I've grown up, raised a family, been part of a first-class and first-rate team, won three Stanley Cups and achieved great personal success.

But looking back, what I really feel is gratitude -- thankful for the opportunity to realize a childhood dream to play for my childhood team. Grateful to Mr. and Mrs. Ilitch and their entire family for letting this boy become a man and always treating my family as one of their own. Grateful to the entire Red Wing organization from Ken Holland and his staff, to John Hahn and Anne Marie Krappmann in the PR department for their ever tireless effort. Grateful to Piet Van Zant and Paul Boyer for patching me up and getting me back out on the ice. Grateful for the support and memories from everyone at the Joe whom I will miss seeing daily, and thankful to the media for not only their endless support of myself but in the way they've always supported the McCarty Cancer Foundation and my band Grinder.

What will I miss most about playing hockey in Detroit? That's simple. The fans. From the day-to-day coffee stop or gas station conversation to the people who say hello on the street or ask for an autograph at the checkout, there are no greater fans than those in Detroit.

These are the great things about my time as a Red Wing that I will always remember no matter where I go. Thank you to all of you. But please don't shed a tear 'cause it's over -- crack a smile 'cause it happened, and no one can ever take that away. I'll always be a Red Wing at heart, and Detroit will always be my home.

Much love to you all,

Darren McCarty, Red Wings No. 25

----------------------------------------
the part about "Don't be sad it's over -- be happy it happened" really got me thinking. how often times we look at what we don't have and mourn, instead of realizing what we had.

we have a daily inspirational calendar that resides in the place where you get the most inspiration.... the bathroom. and this was today's quote, "Those we hold most dear never leave us. They live on in the kindness they showed, the comfort they shared, and the love they brought into... life." -Norton boy, doesn't that really make you think!

i had a friend who lost her grandma today after a long time of watching her slowly die and as i read that quote i though of her, but as i started this blog i began to think of how it applied to me. not just in the obvious sense of the impact i left on those students that God allowed me to love and care for, for 5 and a half years. but how i need to think about the positive, the happy things that have happened and not just mourn the loss. and just like my freind, the loss is only temporary because her grandma was a christian, and i will be a pastor to students again.

well, that is it for now..... it is late and i need to get rest so i can go to work in the morning, but i probably will add more tomorrow.

Labels: ,

|