Sunday, February 12, 2006

RACE ON!!!!!!


Next week is the Super Bowl of NASCAR, the Daytona 500!!! I have not always been a NASACR fan. I mainly would read the newspaper and keep up to date on who won, but that was about the extent of it. Whenever I sat down to watch a race, I would think like most people do, "what is the use of watching people putting the pedal to the metal and turning left?"

During that time I started to like Jeff Gordon, because I had read a lot of good things about him and his faith in Christ. I know that recently he has fallen into some tough times and I have not heard much about his faith, but I still like the guy. I think he is a very good driver and the fact that he has won the championship four times doesn't hurt either. Unlike a certain other driver who drives the 8 car and hasn't won one.

Then a few years ago I had a friend of mine that I watched a race with and he explained a lot of the technical side of races. He talked about the different pit strategies, tire pressure, etc. And suddenly it wasn't just about guys who "put the pedal to the metal and turned left", but about so much more. I became hooked! And now I find myself watching the races all the time. LAst year I joined a fantasy NASCAR league and this year I am on 2!

One of the most facinating facts about NASCAR is that it is the only sport that mandates that the television networks must show the opening prayer before the races. That is cool!

So I say...... GENTLEMAN, START YOUR ENGINES!!!!!! And GO JEFF!!!!! Win another Daytona 500 and get your fifth NASCAR Nextel Cup Trophy.


Labels:

|