Tuesday, January 02, 2007

I Cried Today....

It was exactly one month ago today that Kimmy and I went to visit the Gerald R. Ford Presidential Museum. And the had the final viewing of President Gerald R. Ford's body there today. I watched much of the coverage of his funeral services in Washington. It was very moving and emotional. Though I do not remember much of his time as President, since I was born the year he came into the office, I have developed a great appreciation for him.

Plus, I have a hard time at funerals anyway, when I see the families crying. But I think it is cool that when the plane landed in Grand Rapids with his body they played "Hail To The Victors" and "The Yellow and Blue".

Then tonight they officially retired Steve Yzerman's jersey. As they lifted the jersey up out of the box and up to the rafters, I just couldn't hold back the tears any longer. I remember when he got drafted and then when he was made the youngest captain ever in the history of the NHL. And I remember seeing him lift the cup in 1997, 1998, and 2002. He was such an amazing hockey player and he lead the Detroit Red Wings back to glory with a grace, style and commitment unmatched in most of today's sports. How many players stick with the same team for 22 years and stay as the captain for 19 f those years. That is unheard of.

Stevie, you will be missed! Thanks for bringing respectability back to sports!

Labels: ,

|