Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Living The Dash That I have

First of all let me state that I do not know who this is, even though we share the same last name. There is always something familiar about tombstones. There is the name of the person who passed away and then there is the year (and sometimes date) the were born and then when they died. But there is a part of that tombstone that most people often overlook, but is very significant. And that is the dash "-" in between that dates. I have been reading Soul Cravings by Erwin Raphael McManus and then at my church on the most recent podcast, Rob Markus spoke about the very same thing.

So what does that mean? Well, the dash is the whole of your life. You don't have any choice about the day you are born or really the day that you die. That you do have a choice about what it is you want to do with your life. I have been thinking a lot about this lately, especially given my current life circumstance. I have laid the proverbial fleece out there and have asked God for a sign about what I am supposed to do. And I am hoping to have that sign by the end of this month.

But one thing that I do know for sure is that I am no longer going to be sitting on the side waiting anymore. I really feel that God is telling me that it is time to move and do something. So depending on how this fleece thing turns out, I will begin to do something with the dash of my life. Not that I already have not, but what I mean is that I am going to begin to do something that will lead into the ministry that God has called me to. The fleece will help me to determine what that is and what it will look like. I am really excited to see how this all comes out.

One thing that I am fairly sure of is that I believe God has told me that my time as a pastor to students has come to a close and that it is time to move into other avenues of vocational ministry. Don't get me wrong, I love student ministry and I plan on always having some involvement with it, but I just feel that it is not the course of vocational ministry that I am supposed to pursue. So it will be very interesting too see how this all plays out.

But my question for you is what are you doing with your dash? For me, I am going to begin to start doing something about it again.

Labels: ,

|