Tuesday, July 18, 2006

I Am Supposed to be Her Protector

Last week Monday, Kimmy fell out of our attic as she was getting on the ladder. The ladder rocked and went one way and she went the other. She came crashing back to earth on the hard concrete of our garage. after she fell she got up walked in the house and got some ice from the freezer to ice down her arm.

She was just going to sit there icing it, even though she suspected she broke it, until I came home almost an hour later. The kids were both gone down the street playing with their friends. So she was there by herself. After 10 minutes she decided that she should call me and tell me. So she called my mobile phone, which she knows I can't hear in the shop.

I was planning on leaving about a half hour early, because we had a lot of things to do. So as I was getting ready to leave, I saw I had a voicemail. I listened to it and she calmly asked me to give her a call when I got a chance. So I called her right back since I was leaving. She answers the phone and I can hear the panic in her voice, that was completely absent in the voice mail, and she tells me that she fell out of the attic and that she thinks she broke her arm.

I freaked out and told her that I would be home right away and that I was gonna leave then anyway. So I rushed home and only bent a few laws on the way. I got home and we waited until my mom arrived so we could head off to the hospital.

We got to the hospital and were helped and out of there in pretty good time, with the news that she had in fact broke her elbow. They put it in a splint and wrapped it from wrist to shoulder. I felt so bad for her. We were told that she would need to be in a cast for 6 weeks, which meant that she would be in a cast for our trip to California in August for Derek and KT's wedding.

After that I took her out to eat and then we went and saw Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest since the kids were staying overnight with my parents. We both loved the movie and think the critics are nuts for panning it.

Kimmy went to see the orthopedic doctor and he said that she would only need to be in the cast for 2 weeks. So she won't be in the cast when we go to Cali. BTW, it is a blue cast as you can see! I must say that I had a hard time with this because I am supposed to be there to protect her.

Labels:

|