Sunday, January 07, 2007

Seizing Your Divine Moment

I finished reading Erwin McManus's book Seizing Your Divine Moment: Dare to Live a Life of Adventure a few weeks ago and I was wowed & challenged. Here is the blurb about it from amazon.com....

In this inspiring book, Erwin McManus uses the biblical account of Israel's war with the Philistines (1 Samuel 13 and 14) and the characters of Saul and Jonathan to demonstrate the difference between living a life of purpose and adventure, and living one of apathy and missed opportunity. In the midst of a less-than-hopeful battle, Saul-who should have been leading-rested beneath a pomegranate tree as Jonathan seized the divine moment that would impact the future of Israel. Through this story McManus artfully illustrates the eight characteristics of an adventurer's heart, what he calls "the Jonathan factor."

Using powerful examples from his own life and ministry, along with fresh biblical teaching, McManus asserts that God crafts divine moments specific to each of us-priceless opportunities for us to actively engage in God's big-picture plan. Apathy and apprehension prevent us from being all we are meant to be for God's kingdom. But by developing the characteristics McManus outlines, Christians can move from mundane to miraculous living.


I was wowed at how many times I have sat back and not done or said anything, because I was waiting for God's clear direction, meanwhile people were out doing what needed to be done. And then there have been many times where I wondered why we were sitting around praying when we knew what we were supposed to do. I first heard Erwin share this stuff when I was at Saddleback Church for the Purpose Driven Youth Ministry conference in 2005, when he spoke at it. I walked away with so much wonder about what God wanted me to do. At that time I was only a week or so away from leaving the church that I was working at and had no idea what divine moment God would want me to seize.

Now here I sit almost 2 years later finally having finished reading the book. (It took me that long, because he was also doing a sermon series on it and I was getting the podcasts for it.) And I can say that I am glad that it took me that long, because I do not think that I would have gotten out of it what I needed to then. I believe that there is a divine moment that God wants me to seize this year. Now it is just up to me to go out and find out where those Philistines are and challenge them!

I encourage you to take the chance and time to read this book. It will revolutionize your life, I promise!

Labels:

|