Friday, January 19, 2007

Why I Dislike American Idol


I have never liked that dumb show. My wife and daughter like it, but I just can't get into it. In fact, my wife won't even watch it because I will leave the room and go watch something else when it is on. So she will change the channel and watch something else. I am not sure why, because when I watch football she goes into the other room and I don't mind watching two different things.

I don't feel this way, because it has the word "idol" in it's title and the Bible says we are to have no false idols, like a friend of mine told me. But the reasons why I do not like it starts off with what people say is the best part. I can't stand the auditions. I hate seeing these people getting up in front of national TV with the delusion that they have a good singing voice when it is clear that they don't. Someone should have told them this before they get embarrassed in front of the nation. Then you have their parent's coddling them and telling them it is okay, instead of telling their kids that Simon was right, you do have an awful voice and singing is not your gift nor talent.

Instead we have to have Simon telling them this and looking like the bad guy. Now don't get me wrong, that is another aspect that I can't stand. The brutality that these poor people have to go through at the hands of Simon Cowell. While I appreciate his honesty, I think he can be a little kinder in how he does it.

And then finally, I hate how it is very apparent that they are looking for a pop star only and for the most part a lot of musical genres get left out. You will never see an American Idol that is a rocker or rap type of singer. Sure, you will get someone who is country-ish, R&B-ish, etc. But they will be forced to adapt to a particular style. Just look at Kelly Clarkson, the music she first put out sucked! But then when she did her second album and went her own way, she excelled. American Idol is not about finding the best talent in whatever style they are, but to find the most popular person and fit them into the style the producers want. And if you don't think it is a popularity contest, look at last year's winner, the Jay Leno look alike.

So this year, I am being nice to my wife and taking up precious space on my TiVo's hard drive so she can watch that show during the day while I am at work. I am such a good husband! And I am sorry to all of you people out there that sit through that stupid show.

Labels: ,

|